Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lovin' (not livin' in) the past

So, today, while I was waiting to finish up on the computer I opened up a box that said it was photo negatives. And guess what - it was chockful of them. Yes, it's true, I'm obsessed with taking pictures of everything, keeping all my digital pictures on a separate hard drive, in folders by year, season, and event and if I'm really good I get the names of people in them. In the past I wasn't as good with my negatives - though most of the pictures have date, place, and people written on the back of them. But they were not filed in any order, there were still pictures in some of the photo sleeves, along with cards, post cards, graduation invitations, letters, etc.

So, of course, I sit down and start rifling through everything. I now have a stack of photos that measure 2 inches tall that were thrown in the mix, a stack of cards, and a lot of memories brought to the surface. But, it's good - every once in a while the mood strikes and I delve deep into pictures. Since we've been moving I've been finding more and more pictures everywhere I look. And my family started a family tree on Geni.com (very cool) so I've been finding pics to upload to that. I have the worlds worst memory - most of my childhood up until the middle of HS has been lost somewhere in the grey matter - so these pictures serve as my memory. Though, I sometimes wonder if my brain said "I don't have to remember anything - it's been documented in pictures." and just kind of turned off.

Whatever the reason - I love to go back through these old pictures and relive the events - what led to that picture, what happened afterwards, what's the person up to now, what would I have done without that person in my life at that particular moment? It's good - to look back, see where you've been, what made you who you are - as long as you keep looking forward to what you will do, who you will become, memories you will make. You have to - you have to know where you've been, who you are, to know where you're going. And I firmly believe that the people in your life play a significant role in helping you become you - or at least me become me.

Okay - enough deep thoughts. All this stuff just got me thinking and where else to let it out but here. Now, it's time for bed - wishing you sweet dreams and many memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! I love to hear what you guys think of the post/activity!!!