
Okay, so today is Denim Day in LA. What is that you ask? Well, depending on who you are, it's either a) a reason to wear jeans to work on a Wednesday, or b) a reason to wear jeans as "a symbol of protest against erroneous and destructive attitudes about sexual assault". I would hope it's the latter for most people but I fear it is not. But, that's why I am wearing jeans today - and it's why I encouraged the rest of the ISIS team to wear jeans.
Why jeans? Why not?
Because, in Italy, a man's conviction of a rape sentence was overturned by thte Supreme Court when the Judge said “because the victim wore very, very tight jeans, she had to help him remove them, and by removing the jeans it was no longer rape but consensual sex.”
Because the number one excuse given for raping someone is based on the clothing the victim wore - tight clothes, low cut jeans, etc.
Because most folks don't wear jeans to work in the middle of the week and wearing them might make someone ask why you're wearing them, thus raising the level of awareness about the campaign.
Because every two and a half minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.
Because one in six American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape.
Because survivors deserve support and assistance, not shame and blame.
BECAUSE
I am one of the lucky ones - I am not a victim - but that doesn't mean I don't know victims. That doesn't mean that I couldn't be a victim. This organization, this campaign, just wants to be able to provide victims help and support. They want victims to speak out, to not be afraid, blamed, or ashamed.
Young or old, male or female, single or married - it can happen to anyone. And if it does, I would hope that there is someone there to listen, to help, comfort, and support.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave comments! I love to hear what you guys think of the post/activity!!!