Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

9 Months In, 9 Months Out Take 2

(I used the same title when Kayla was 9 months so that's why it's Take 2).

If you remember, I said I figured Tyler would be crawling by 9 months, I was right.  In fact, it was right after the 8 month post posted that he really got the hang of army crawling and then just a couple weeks later that he was doing the traditional crawl and a couple days later that he was pulling up on everything and learning how to sit down on his own too!  He's sort of cruising - not often, and it's pretty slow, but it does happen.  It took a while to get him mobile but once he figured it out he progressed quickly.  It happened so fast, much faster than it did with Kayla, that I don't even remember the exact days.  I remember thinking, oh there's 2 crawls, there's 3 or 4 crawls, oh there he goes, over the course of a couple days but couldn't pinpoint exactly what happened when.  So, that's the exciting news for our little 9 month old!  Kayla army crawled between 5 and 6 months and started the traditional crawling at 7 months.  So, it took her a while to progress and it took him a while to get started.  Just goes to show you - don't compare.  :-)



So, what else has been happening this month?  Well...

He is OBSESSED with crayons!  Loves those suckers.  And now that he's completely mobile he has a laser focus on them and can find them and get to them in a heart beat.  Considering Kayla's favorite thing in the world to do in the house is color we're having some issues but Kayla doesn't want him to have the crayons any more than the rest of us do so she's pretty good at keeping them away from him.  Not always but most of the time.

He still loves to stand, can't hardly get him to sit down half the time, and even though he can't stand on his own he sure doesn't use a whole lot to hold himself up.  He'll usually hold on to something or someone with one hand and will turn every which way to see what's going on.  He's still a ways away from standing on his own though - verrrry wobbly!



As I've mentioned before, he loves to be outside.  Doesn't matter if it's cold and wet and dry and sunny.  If I'll let him out he's happy as a clam.



And now he's showing us when he gets mad about something.  You bring him in from outside, or take him out of the bath, he gets mad and lets you know it.  Starts grunting and saying "eeeee".  Ha ha ha.  It's actually funny.  {See the beginning of the video of him staring out the patio door.}

He loves when his sister rough houses with him, within reason.  She usually takes it too far and he ends up crying but for the first few seconds/minutes he's laughing and having fun.  I can't wait until he's old and they can play for real - since apparently it's a favorite past time.  Right now one of their favorite games is for her to put on her glasses and he'll take them off.  He loves to take everyone's glasses off.  Luckily he's not too rough so he hasn't broken any. 


His favorite toys are balls that he can chase, wheels that he can turn, or, you know, crayons he can chew. He absolutely loves anything with wheels - the baby stroller, cars, airplanes, anything in our house with wheels he finds.  He also loves to bang things together.  Anything he picks up he see what it sounds like when he bangs it against something else.  But it really looks like he's interested in the sound, or the fact that he can bang it - not just doing it because he can but doing it for a reason.  I'm not sure how to explain it really.  It's very cute, whatever it is!


He weighs 17lbs 12 oz - a gain of 1.25 lbs in the last month.  Which is good because the doctor was beginning to get worried.  I think February, because we were both sick, he didn't get much to eat.  Obviously, he didn't get enough.  But as soon as we were both healthy he started eating well again and was able to gain the weight.  We did really force him to eat the solids all month but in the last week that's gone out the window.  He doesn't want the pureed foods. 

He does love the crunchy snacks like Veggie Straws and Gerber Crunchies and sweet potato fries along with foods he can feed himself like bread, the fruit/veggie pouches I've been feeding Kayla, waffles... I gotta figure out how to make the fruits and veggies more finger friendly.


He's still nursing once or twice a night.  But as I'm writing this (a week after he turned 9 months) I'm letting him cry it out because it's not the screaming bloody murder crying.  I've let him cry while we're still awake between 9 and 10 and when he wakes up and doesn't want to go back to sleep between 4 and 5 in the morning.  It doesn't last longer than 30 minutes, at least for this first 2 days, but I have hopes that it'll be shorter and shorter as the days go on.  I didn't want to drop the midnight feedings because I wanted to be sure he was gaining enough weight.  Now that I know I'm okay with not feeding him every time he cries.

Since he's mobile he's very curious about his world.  Every time a door opens he's headed for it - the bathroom, the garage, the front door - if he can get to it before we do he's through it.  He loves that garage door and front door - practically jumps out of your arms.  But, as long as it's not the front door he's okay if you shut it or move him away.  If it's the front door he lets you know he's not  happy about not going outside. 

Also since he can get around he can entertain himself much better.  He still loves to be around us but he has no problem playing on his own for a while.

Speaking of being around us, he's starting to climb over us and other things to get where he wants to be.  It's funny, unless he grabs your eye or something to help himself over. 

It's getting harder to change his diaper - also since he's mobile.  Man, this mobility thing is causing problems.  :-)  He just rolls over and tries to escape... naked!  Such a cute little but crawling away though.

He has ended up stuck under the bouncer because he crawls under it to get to a toy and then can't get himself out. 


Is kind of starting to dance a little - shaking his little booty.  I don't know if he does it on purpose but he does do it and it is cute!

When you walk into the room or come home he gets all excited clapping his hands and waving his arms.  When daddy comes home he gets a huge smile on his face and heads right for him.    If you don't immediately go pick him up he crawls over and sits near your feet and looks up at you like - hello, I'm here, pick me up!  Of course, he also does the same clapping and dancing whenever Mickey Mouse Clubhouse comes on TV - his favorite show!  I think it's all the bright colors. 

His little belly and ribs are ticklish and I love hearing him laugh when we tickle him!

He loves the computer.  You open it up and he makes a beeline for it.  He'll hit all the buttons, push down the screen, and laugh and smile like crazy!  Early nerd!!!

He definitely came out of hi February Funk and is such a cute, curious, happy little boy.  I am loving seeing him grow!

1 comment:

  1. Henry's over the pureed foods too. He'll eat them, but he much prefers finger foods, esp. avacados, pears, grapes and even tofu and broccoli. And because I'm a naughty mommy, banana bread. Tends to jam it all in his mouth though and gags a little. We had to start putting just a few pieces on his tray rather than dumping a bunch of stuff out. This weekend he also started inching around just to inch around. Crazy babies. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love to hear what you guys think of the post/activity!!!