Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

First (and maybe last) Family Vaca!

Well, folks, we survived our first family vacation.  At almost a year and a half I can't say that Kayla had a relaxing vacation, and therefore neither did we, but we enjoyed ourselves.  I wasn't so sure that we would since it started out with my getting Kayla's stomach bug a couple days before and being barely functional the morning we had to finish packing and get on the road.  But by the time we got down to the resort I was feeling MUCH better - almost back to the land of the living.  Unfortunately, this bout of sickness meant me missed our first stop - Pala Casino Buffet where mom, Grandma, Aunt Amy and I were supposed to go when they were here but the line was too long.  This was my 2nd chance to try it but since I was the only one interested and I wasn't eating it didn't make much sense to go.  One day we'll make it.  The other slight set back was the fact that the night before I looked up the weather and the high was only going to be 65 the whole time we were there.  Well that just stinks!  Who wants to go hang out in the pool when it's 65 degrees???  But, oh well, we were all set to go so we were going.  We'd make do.   Oh, and problem number 3 - I forgot the camera battery charger and the little battery icon was already blinking at me.  So, the pictures are sparse but I think it made me capture the daily events a little more carefully.  They still aren't the greatest pictures, partially because you're trying to be quick and partially because Kayla now basically refuses to smile for pictures, but again - we'll make do. 

So, on to the details... what'd we do?  A whole lotta nothing!  :-)  That's what we like to do on vacations - they are, for us, a time to get away and relax.  Not that you can relax with a year and a half year old but you can do something close.  We planned it so our ride down there was during her nap time and she woke up just as we were pulling in.  The girl usually only takes 1.5 hour naps so it was perfect timing.  We spent that first afternoon walking around the resort, getting our bearings, seeing what there was to see there.  It's really a very nice looking place - as it should be. 


That evening we treated Kayla to her first room service experience - pizza!  On the floor!  Are we great parents or what???

Hey - we weren't in any shape to be going out anywhere and I still wasn't eating much (took me an hour and a half to eat 1 slice of pizza!) so this worked for us. 

Kayla surprised me by sleeping really well that first night, though she didn't make such a showing the next couple of nights.  She didn't make a sound that first night - amazing!  I say that because the last time she didn't sleep in her own crib, in TX at about 8 months old, she cried THE ENTIRE NIGHT!  So this was a real treat.  Unfortunately the next couple nights she cried a little bit but she went right back to sleep so I didn't have to get up out of bed (which is no easy feat right now, especially when you're wrapped in a down comforter sleeping on down pillows!).

Anyway, on the more important stuff... since it was still cool and overcast on Friday we goofed off in the morning, Eric worked out by taking a spinning class, and Kayla and I got to enjoy a little spin around the resort in a golf cart.  We had been walking by them all morning and Kayla kept trying to get in them so I asked the bell hop if there was any way we could ride in one and they obliged.  Turns out those suckers go pretty fast - not sure if Kayla was prepared for that.  She didn't cry or anything but she didn't look like she was having as much fun as I expected.  But it was also close to nap time. 

It didn't warm up any after she woke up so we headed to the San Diego Zoo.  I thought it'd be nice to go on a coolish day - turned out to be a little cooler than I expected so I'm sure little Miss was slightly uncomfortable but she was good most of the time.  Since she can make all kinds of animal sounds I thought it'd be nice to actually show her the real animals. 

I think she enjoyed it but she also enjoyed playing peek a boo with dad's hat (possibly more so).




Saturday morning was individual time - mommy went to the spa for a maternity massage, daddy worked out, and Kayla played in their super awesome daycare - Kidtopia!  We had checked it out the morning before and she really seemed to enjoy herself.  They have slides, things to climb on, cars to ride in, blocks to build with, fish to watch, crayons to color with - everything a kid could want.  I assume she had a good time - I know I did.  I had a nice hour long massage followed by a body scrub (for free!).  I was going to go back later in the day for a dip in their roman tub but decided I'd nap with Kayla instead.  :-) (remember - the camera was dying so this picture below is from their website.  But that's really what it looks like - minus Kayla.  :) )

After a very long nap, since we put her to sleep almost 2 hours late (I know, I know), I decided to try out the pool.  It was pretty warm outside, though no where near hot, but dang it - after 2 days of staring at it I wanted to get in!  Luckily it was pretty warm, they keep it heated, and Kayla really enjoyed watching all the other kids play.  We floated a little, kicked a little, but generally she just sat in my lap.  It's quite the perfect little pool - slants in from a little sandy beach area, and only gets to 3 feet deep so I could sit quite comfortably in the "shallow" end and hold her on my lap.  Though she was able to walk around and steel other little kids toys.  :-)  But that's what you do in kids play areas - all toys are communal.  Eric came a little later and as soon as Kayla saw him she wanted out and to hang out with him.  That meant he got his shirt and jeans soaked by her little suit but oh well. 

On our last morning there we finally got real pool time - nice warm weather, even at 10am, and sunny skies.  Too bad I didn't put sunscreen on because I came away with what I really think is a 2nd degree sunburn!  It's like my back is ON FIRE!  But we enjoyed ourselves.  Kayla saw other kids going into the sand and then into the water to wash off, repeatedly, so she decided to copy them - but she just did her hands and feet.  I talked to a couple other families who had 16-19 month olds and engaged in the "kids do the darndest things" discussions.  Both of them were also just there for the weekend and this was also basically their first time in the pool too and we were all pushing our kids naptimes back a couple hours to accommodate the good weather.  :-)  Again - great parenting.  But you do what you gotta do!

Remember I mentioned earlier that we spent our mornings relaxing - this means that we went to breakfast where Kayla spent the entire time coloring, and back in the room she built towers with her legos, and got in and out of her stroller - for fun!


I, however, know how to relax - and during naptime that's exactly what I did.  Reading outside with a nice cool breeze and overlooking an immaculate golf course - what could be better?

I think that's it basically.  At least in terms of what we did.  Our experience of the first vacation as "new"/"expecting" parents will have to wait until another post - this one is long enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! I love to hear what you guys think of the post/activity!!!