Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

First Baseball Game

About a month ago Eric rode in the Cucamonga Challenge bike ride and, as part of the goody bag, received 1 free ticket to the local minor league team for the Angels, the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes.  I had already thought about going to one this summer but that just made it even cheaper.  It's great because it's only about 10 minutes from our house, tickets are $8/person, and food is fairly cheap too.  Since it's so close and cheap it doesn't hurt to try to take Kayla and if she doesn't like it, no big deal.  So, today, after the baby shower we made the big trip down the road. 

As we were walking in this couple asked us if we had tickets because they had a bunch of free ones.  Since we hadn't bought ours yet we accepted their offer.  They said they were front row tickets so that was nifty.  As we slowly made our way to the entrance, because Kayla's legs aren't that long, she took in all the people around us.  But she was pretty good about not running off, which is an improvement for her.  :-)


When we turned in the tickets they told us it was a suite up on the 3rd floor.  Oh great!  (yay!)  Oh great!  (Crap!)  Kayla apparently is clausterphopic and hates elevators so going up to the 3rd floor was going to be great fun.  And they have the slowest elevators known to man.  But, anyway, we made it, and walked up to the suite to find out that there are about 10 other people in there also.  Can you say awkward?!?!  But, hey, they were free tickets in an air conditioned place with cushioned seats.  Works for us.  Turns out the couple that gave us the tickets are pretty religious (as in, referred to one of the other guys there as "their brother in the Lord" and really praised the Lord for the air conditioning) and the guy who gave them the tickets works at Empire Nissan where Eric and I bought our cars.  Not that those two things go together, but that's all I found out about the people in the suite with us.  Well, one other guy might have had some mental problems and he was SUPER loud and really into the game  so there were a few times I had to cover Kayla's ears because it was so loud in there.  Anyway - that's the background. 

What about the game?  I don't know anything about the game.  I think I saw about 3 pitches in the hour we were there.  I was busy entertaining Ms. Kayla who was entertaining herself with the mirrors, her hair brush, and a plastic knife.  Yes, I let her play with a plastic knife - she was happy and so was I.  We walked around the hallways and outside for a little while.  Got a temporary tattoo of Tremor the Quakes mascot.  Attempted to eat some hot dog.  Watched Tremor dance.  Danced ourselves.  (Side note: So cute - if you say "Kayla dance" she shakes her groove thing.  Not that it's a surprise, but there hasn't been a lot of dancing since she started walking.  You learn one skill and another skill kinda goes by the wayside.  I'm glad she hasn't lost the ability though.)  Overall it was a good experience.  I'm glad we were in the a/c - it was about 90 degrees when we were there - and that the tickets were free.  And Kayla didn't hardly cry or whine which is always a plus.  Course it was only an hour - surely anyone can be happy for an hour.  But you'd be surprised! 

I think it'll be a while before we go back but I wanted to at least try it - see what it was like.  I think when the kids are older, if we're still around, they will definitely enjoy summers at the Quakes Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! I love to hear what you guys think of the post/activity!!!